Our full-time Winter Programme combines language learning with culture studies and is ideal for students who want to improve their English quickly.
Hours per week
Pre-Intermediate – Advanced
23 September 2020
8 people maximum
About our Winter Programme
21 September – 20 December 2020 (13 weeks) £5500*
Winter Programme Plus:
21 September – 7 February 2020 (20 weeks) £8320*
*Airport transfer included
|Lesson 1 & 2||9.00 - 11.15||General English|
|Lesson 3||11.30 - 12.30||Practical or Academic English|
|Lunch time||12.30 - 13.30|
|Lesson 4 & 5||13.30 - 15.45||Specialised Module|
For the first 2 hours we work with a course book. This will help you to improve you 4 main skills: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. In addition, you will also study grammar and vocabulary.
The third hour focuses on practical English and study skills. It will help you use the English you have learnt. (For example, going to the restaurant, colloquial English, interrupting a conversation, etc.)
Our Academic English lesson focuses on study skills, such as reading, writing, listening, and speaking in an academic environment. This benefits you if you want to study at an English speaking university, for example.
The academic skills lessons practises your language skills and is aimed at students in higher education.
- Features thought-provoking topics relevant to students in higher education
- Develops skills required for academic study, including note-taking, essay-writing, and giving presentations
- Includes strategies for undertaking research and dealing with unfamiliar vocabulary
- Provides tips for self-study
The afternoon is divided into specialised modules, which change every three weeks.
One of the most rewarding modules for students is Charity. In three weeks you learn about the importance of British and local charities. After that you will create a fundraising event for a charity of your choice. One of the highlights every year is the drama production just before Christmas. You will get to show off your newly found confidence and language competence in a play. The drama module offers you the opportunity to explore your creativity and express yourself through performing art.
- Art of Beauty
- Theory of Knowledge
- History of Oxford and the UK
CIE’s aims quote Marcel Proust; “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking out new places but in having new eyes”. Our teachers take this into account when preparing afternoon lessons. We have designed, tried and tested these materials over many years. We believe they offer both you and the teacher an enjoyable, academic look at a variety of topics ranging from Art and Architecture of Oxford to preparing a charity event.
*a full scheme of work can be provided upon request
We generally offer you two activities a week, including one free and one paid activity. They start at 4 pm, and you are welcome to join any time.
Free activities could include:
- Board games
- CIE Cinema
- Afternoon Tea at CIE
- And many more
Paid activities could include:
- Escape room
- Harry Potter Tour
- Crazy golf
- Ice skating
- And many more
Winter Programme Plus
In the final two months of the Winter Programme Plus you have topic based lessons & exam preparation in mixed classes instead of modules.
These classes are aimed at improving students’ fluency and communicative skills through discussions and project work on a variety of interesting topics. Students prepare presentations, events and performances which they share with the rest of the school on Friday afternoons.
Mixed up with exam preparation (for example, IELTS) to further improve their academic skills, the classes will provide opportunities to conduct surveys, write reports and deliver presentations.
Benefits of the Winter Programme
- Practice your speaking skills including debating and discussion techniques
- Improve your research and presentation skills
- Make cultural visits within Oxford
- Broaden your knowledge of academic subjects
- Broaden your knowledge and appreciation of your surroundings by studying Oxford’s unique Art and Architecture
- Increase your confidence and apply what you have learnt in Drama classes
- Monitor your progress with regular homework and revisions
- All course materials are provided
- You will receive a certificate at the end of your course stating your level according to the Common European Framework